Monday, July 2, 2012

Chapter Two Reflections

1. How do I plan an integrated lesson that will work with my students?

You can use the ten-step NTeQ model that will guide you through each step and tell you what information you should have in your lesson plan.  You first specify the objective of the lesson, then identify the computer functions that students should have mastered.  The third step is to specify the problem that the students will need to address. Forth, you will consider the research and analysis activities to use to solve the problem, and fifth, decide how your students will present the information to you or to the classroom.  You will then need to describe the activities the students will be doing during, before, and after using the computer.  Make sure that you have supporting activities for the students to work on while they are waiting to use the computer.  Finally, you should design your assessment, such as a test or presentation.  Or, you could just adapt an existing lesson plan to suit your students and objectives.

2. Why do I need objectives to help with my planning and lesson development?

A teacher needs objectives so that the class knows what they are working towards learning.  The objective should support the goals, and standards of the school and class, as well as the objectives of the school district.  Objectives should state what the students should be doing during the lesson and what they should be learning.

3. How can I encourage my students to engage in the processing of information?

Students often are more excited about learning when the subject is something of interest to them or can affect them.  Presenting problems that are relevant and real to the students will greatly help them to want to engage in the lesson and solve the problems.

4. Do I have to use a different lesson plan when I want my students to use computers?

I don't believe that you should have to start a completely new lesson plan from scratch.  Many types of lesson plans include some of the same items, and so, you should be able to take an existing lesson plan and modify it to include the use of computers.

5. What is the relationship between objectives and computer functions?

Objective and computer functions must match! For instance, if they objective is to graph the data, what is the computer function to be used? You can easily match the computer function to the objective by thinking to yourself, "how would I complete the task if I were a student?"  Any objective can have one or more computer function that it requires for completion.

6. Can you use a computer for every objective or lesson?

You could use a computer for every lesson in class, but for the first year using computers, it would be very difficult.  You must build up the computer lessons that you want to use and be willing to make adjustments, but eventually, you could use computers confidently for every lesson if you so wished.

No comments:

Post a Comment